Lorain Public Library System - Local Author Bibliography
Back to Local Authors
| More Information
His collections of poetry include:
- Executioner. (1976)
- A Sack Full of Old Quarrels. (1977)
- A Romance. (1979)
- The Monkey Wars. (1985)
- Song of Napalm. (1988)
- What Saves Us. (1992)
- Sweet Lorain. (1996)
- Lies, Grace and Redemption. [This is a selection of poems from five previously published books and an interview. The book was edited by Harry Humes and published as a chapbook/special issue of YARROW, a literary Magazine.] (1996)
- Khoang Thoi Gian Khong Ngu. [A selection of Weigl's poetry translated into Vietnamese and included with seven other American writers.] (1996)
- Archeology of the Circle: New and Selected Poems. (1999)
- After the Others. (1999)
- The Unraveling Strangeness: Poems (2002)
- Declension in the Village of Chung Luong (2006)
- The Abundance of Nothing (2012)
Weigl's poetry, translations, essays, articles, reviews, and interviews have been appeared in such periodicals as The New York Times, The Nation, TriQuarterly, Field, The New Yorker, The Western Humanities Review, The American Poetry Review, The Southern Review, The Kenyon Review, Ploughshares, The Paris Review, Antaeus, and Harpers.
In addition, his poems have been widely anthologized, most recently in The Best American Poetry, 1994, The Morrow Anthology of Younger American Poets, Poets of the '90s, Anthology of Modern War Literature, and in Against Forgetting: 20th Century Poetry of Witness. Works of Literary Criticism:
Anthologies: · Writing Between the Lines: An Anthology of War and Its Social Consequences. [edited with an introduction by Kevin Bown and Bruce Weigl] 1997. Translations: · Poems from Captured Documents. [co-translated from Vietnamese with Nguyen Thanh] 1994. · Mountain River : Vietnamese Poetry from the Wars, 1948-1993: A Bilingual Collection.. [co-translated and co-edited with Kevin Bown and Nguyen Ba Chung]. 1998. · Angel Riding a Beast: Poems for America. [co-translated from Romanian with Liliana Ursu] 1998. Bruce Weigl has been awarded many literary honors in recognition of his literary accomplishments: · Patterson Poetry Prize · Yaddo Foundation Fellowship, 1976 · Academy of American Poets Prize, 1978 · The Pushcart Prize, Pushcart Press, [twice] · Breadloaf Fellowship in Poetry, Bread Loaf Writers' Conference, 1981 · National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship Grant for Creative Writing, National Education Association, 1988. · Tu Do Cien Kien award for contributions to American culture, Vietnam Veterans of America, 1987 · Best American Poetry prize, 1994 · And nominations for the Lamont Poetry Prize and the William Carolos Williams Prize. · 2006 Lannan Literary Award for Poetry
- Charles Simic: Essays on the Poetry. 1966.
- The Giver of Morning : On the Poetry of Dave Smith. 1982.
In 2000, Bruce Weigl published a memoir called The Circle of Hanh. In the memoir he writes of his life as having two pieces separated by the Vietnam War.